Friday, January 25, 2008

Brothers



Sometimes being a brother is even better than being a superhero. ~Marc Brown



Growing up I was surrounded by 3 older sisters. I learned all about make-up and doing my hair. I learned about doing cheers and playing Barbies with the best of 'em. So finding myself raising these 3 'little men', full of energy and spunk, has been to say the least- interesting. There are days when I sit back and just watch in wonder at how one minute they can fight like professional wrestlers and the next minute laugh together over a PlayStation game. One minute they have each other in a head lock, the next minute they are tossing the football back and forth. I am in awe of the relationship between these boys- the joys and the complexities. I want so much for these boys to connect in a meaningful way because relationships between siblings are among the longest and most meaningful people have during their lives. I often tease my boys when they are fighting that one day when they grow up they will drive hundreds of miles at Christmas so see each other and cherish every moment of it. I know I do exactly that.

Lord, I thank you for the special relationship you give to siblings. I thank you for the bond that is there even when they choose to ignore it. I pray that you help these boys to grown into strong Godly men- with their eyes focused on you. I ask you to guide their feet on the right path and direct them in all your ways. Show each of them the purpose you have planned for them. Teach them to love each other the way you love us. Show them that it is not important to 'reach for the stars' but to reach FOR YOU. Bring them to a place where your dreams are their dreams. You are all that I pray them to be.

"Be sympathetic, love as brothers, be compassionate and humble." 1 Peter 3:8

No comments: