Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Mission accomplished

Tonight was our last night of beans and rice.

I won't lie and say that I am sad it is over- but I will tell you that I am beyond thankful for what the Lord has taught our family from this experience.

One of the neatest 'gifts' God gave us during this experience was the sweet emails of encouragement from blogging friends along the way. I cannot tell you how much that support meant to us. I cannot tell you how much it mean to me to hear about or read about other families who were right in there with us -doing all that they could to try to make a difference in the life of a child.

Yesterday I received the most precious gift from a sweet girl (Thanks Jillian!!) who told me about her experience in Lusaka, Zambia this past summer and the orphanage she visited there. She shared a picture of some of the children sitting down to a meal of - you guess it, beans and rice. Here is a little bit of what she wrote:

"the children joyfully accept their plates as they received only one meal each day. They would do their curtsy of appreciation and eagerly take their plates-which generally consisted of beans and rice." This month our family was able to save $500.00 for the Pass It Forward Adoption Fund simply by eating a simple meal of beans and rice for dinner. I learned so many thing from this experience- but more than anything, when I look at this picture and see these beautiful children of God eating a plate of beans and rice- I cannot help but feel that God's hands were all over this experience.

Lord, thank you for the things you have taught me, for the ways you make me aware of those in need around me. There is nothing I desire more Lord than to please you. Life is too short to live any other way but wisely. Forgive me for the times I have wasted opportunities in places where I could have been your hands and feet. I choose to spend my days in work that honors you and in furthering your Kingdom.

Be very careful, then, how you live- not as unwise but as wise, making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil. Ephesians 5:15-16
image signature

15 comments:

Adeye said...

Oh my--that pic just pulls at my heart strings.
What an amazing amount you managed to save. That is absolutely fabulous!!! Can't wait to see how God multiplies it :)

Cari said...

This post is awesome and inspirational! Please thank your family for being an amazing example throughout this past month.

Melissa G said...

That's awesome savings!

We had beans and rice for dinner last night too. After reading your blog for the first time the other day i couldn't get it out of my head! =)

Unknown said...

Amy - what a beautiful picture of God's love in everyone of those precious faces receiving His gift!

What a beautiful act of love your family did by sacrificing self for 30 days to live one meal a day as millions do around the world. I trust God will multiply your fruit in many ways from this experience - for your entire family!

Hugs and much love!
Jill

Mommy's Journeys said...

While I am sure you are glad that it's over, I would think that this has been a very humbling experience for you and your family. I know it would be for mine if I could get them to agree to do it.

Dardi said...

No words due to the lump in my throat...just hugs!

Karin said...

Thank you for being obedient to God's call to eat rice and beans for a month. That picture says it all and I am going to show my kids tomorrow when they get their rice and beans. (I could only get them to agree to rice and beans one night a week.)

Your 'experiment' made a big impression on me--and I hope it will on my kids, too. So thank you for sharing this call of God for your family. :)

Beautiful Mess said...

Thank you as always.

JG said...

Wow. All I can say is, I can't wait to see what God is preparing you for right now! Your family acting together in obedience like this is one of the most beautiful things I've seen.

"Are These Kids All Yours?" said...

WOW- I think your encouragement through your last month of self sacrifice has taught me so much! When the Body Of Christ is Willing and ready to do something for HIS GLORY- it is an awesome display of Christ among us!

Unknown said...

I am so proud of you and your family. I know God will multiply the blessings. Be ready to receive them!

Reading Widely said...

Amy, I am so blessed by all that you are doing to raise money for someone else's adoption. It's just such a neat thing to do (and as you know, something I want to do too once our blog is public again).

I was wondering, what is your total in the fund at this point? I see that the chipin ended Aug 13 so is that the final number or have you added more since then?

Love you guys.

Doreen said...

Amy, Very proud of you and your family...

Andrea Hill said...

You are such an inpiration to all of us. I still remember that first post with the big adoption jar on your table and look at where you are now.

Anonymous said...

Hi! I stumbled onto your blog from someone's else... I have been SO blessed by your family! My husband and I are currently waiting to adopt a sibling group of older children from Colombia. We were inspired to take up the "rice and beans challenge" ourselves in October. Thanks for letting God use you in other's lives!