Monday, September 7, 2009

Simple happiness...

Today was one of those days where I really just sat back, relaxed and enjoyed being with my family.


I love days like these, the ones where you don’t have anywhere to go and there is nothing to do… the kind where you can just enjoy life.


These laid back days are such a gift.


Todd and I took the five youngest kids (Travis is at college and Keegan had other plans) and we went to a state park not far from our house. We packed a nice picnic lunch, threw a blanket in the car and headed out. The weather was perfect, the sun was shining and it was nice to just get away and be together.


One thing God has taught me this year is that it really is the simple things in life that bring us the greatest joy. I think that often times we try so hard to work for happiness- and most of the time it was right in front of us the whole time… in the small things~ like a hug from our child, your spouse holding your hand, a phone call from a friend, or a hike in the woods.


These are the things I don’t want to take for granted- the things I don’t want to miss.


"Happiness is not a matter of good fortune or worldly possessions.
It's a mental attitude.
It comes from appreciating what we have, instead of being miserable about what we don't have.
It's so simple- yet so hard for the human mind to comprehend."
~Author unknown


image signature

15 comments:

Live to love and laugh said...

The pictures are great. All the kids are so cute and growing up.

"Are These Kids All Yours?" said...

AMEN to that! I have to remind myself of tht daily. I think for me it is a part of dying to my need for control....did I just type that. yep, it's true!!! Weekends like this are great reminders. Love the pics.

Dardi said...

Ahhh...we were going to do a picnic today at a nearby state park, but we got many, many raindrops! :o( Instead, we began moving around furniture. My kiddos only complaint about our family getting bigger is that there's no extra room to hang out anymore since the lower level is now bedrooms. So, the formal dining room is becoming a small, no cozy, family room. Oh, well, at least Kam pulled out the guitar & made some sweet music & Kade's ipod re-appeared after being MIA for a VERY long time when we turned a chair over to move it. We'll go with that for our simple happiness for the day........ :o)

Adeye said...

Simplicity---I long for it too, friend.
How amazing that you got away with your precious family for some down time. Lovely pics :)

Doreen said...

precious family pictures amy...

Bethany said...

Looks like a perfect day! This will sound goofy but it is the truth. You & your family are living my dream life. Ever since I was a little girl, I've wanted to adopt many children. I was raised in a family of seven kids and loved it- now, as a mid-20s, single girl, I'm so sad that it hasn't happened as of yet. I'd love to hear how you & your husband began adopting- do you have that story on your blog by any chance? Praying for your family!

Kim said...

What precious picture and words of wisdom!
Thanks for both!
Love & Blessings from Hong Kong,
Kim

Laurel said...

Looks like a fun park. Maybe we can go there when we come visit.


:) :) :)

Gardenia said...

long holiday weekends are a great opportunity to reevaluate our busy lives, and take some time to apreciate the truly important things in life. thanks for sharing.

James 1:27 Family said...

We had a weekend like yours. I love it. I wish I could remember to set aside silly stuff and do this more!

BTW - You might have the most photogenic family ever! Beautiful!

I know you miss your "big boys" not being there. I'd love to hear your heart on letting them go sometime. I can't imagine.

Love in Jesus,
Amy

Denise :) said...

Amen, sister. You said it beautifully! Denise :)

Andrea Hill said...

I know those times are so special; I agree. These new pics are so precious especially you and your hubby.

Unknown said...

That park looks familiar. :0)
How's Travis doing in school? Is he at a nearby school so that he can visit often?

Karin said...

I totally agree! :) Sweet memories made at the park. :)

Phyllis said...

I love days like that. Great pictures. You all look like you had a wonderful time.
Phyllis