Tuesday, September 1, 2009

So much to be thankful for...


Tonight starts off our 30 days of beans and rice for dinner. The kids are having fun joking with me asking me over and over what's for dinner tonight then saying "Oh yeah, we don't have to ask that anymore- it's beans and rice!" And then they begin whispering how they are going to conveniently be eating at their friends houses a lot this month. (Sneaky little boogers aren't they?) All joking aside, we are excited to make this commitment as a family, pulling together to try to make a different- even if it's only a small one.

In all actuality though, while we are having fun joking with each other-It really is no laughing matter.

Because for far too for many- it is a reality.

For many people- beans and rice are a luxury. For many mothers in this world- when asked what is for dinner tonight their answer, once again, is 'nothing'. And for many children, who are living on the streets, abandoned and alone, again the answer is nothing.

I don't know what God is going to teach us on this journey... but I do know that tonight when we bow our heads and thank God for the food that was prepared for us- the countless faces of beautiful people around the world who are going without will come to mind. And the families who are doing all they can trying to find yet another way to save to bring an orphan home- will come to mind.

I also wanted to say a special thank you to my blogging buddies who are on this journey with me. For those of you who are willing to make a sacrifice for someone else... for those of you who ARE helping to make a difference- I cannot thank you enough.

It only takes a spark to get a fire going- and I believe that together we can- be the change.

Please stop by and encourage them. Please tell them thanks for being the difference. And if you or anyone else you know is taking the challenge- whether it be beans and rice or not- please let me know so I can be praying for you.

http://nationsaroundourtable.blogspot.com/2009/08/challenge.html
http://queendebbee.blogspot.com/

image signature

11 comments:

Dardi said...

Chicky, you bless my socks off! I am encouraged to do better & be better every time I "speak" with you or read your posts!

While we are not doing beans & rice, we have been making many adjustments in the way we have been doing things b/c we are inspired. I'm trying to take the time to research deals & make my trips worthwhile (went to store last week & saved $66 on a $120 order...woohoo!) & REALLY thinking twice about purchases of any type. We also find great joy in LOOKING for the ways God provides & taking the time to give thanks (for example: Punkie needed new shoes--flip flop weather is quickly fading--so we were headed out. Got a $20 coupon in the mail that very day, so we got her good shoes for $9.97!).

Finally, the pickle jar is washed & on the counter. What a blessing it has been to watch the kids thinking of places they might find change or other ways we might save money. Even more, it has been an awesome conversation starter about how God loves children & wants them to have families & that HE WILL PROVIDE.

Okay, this probably could have just been a blog post in itself, but, you know.........

Kelli said...

This is WONDERFUL...God bless you all on this journey and for bringing us along. Awareness is critical and I pray that this effort will bring forth amazing changes!

Karin said...

I am so imspired by this idea. Haven't talked the family into it yet, but we do have a missionary jar that the kids contribute to. It always ends up going to orphans. :) Still love your idea and may try it.

Angie said...

I can just hear my boys...beans, beans, a wonderful fruit. The more you eat...well, you know the rest! Really, though, thanks for sharing!!

Unknown said...

Here is another yummy recipe:

1 large bag or container of organic spinach
rice
beans organic canned is fine
organic frozen peas

*Cook rice according to directions (we add in coconut oil and spices while it is cooking).
*Cook beans in a separate pot
*Add frozen peas into the rice pot for the last seven minutes. Mix them in and put lid on tightly. *We often add in non gmo butter when we put in the peas.

Put spinach on plate - then add rice to middle - put beans on top.

You can enjoy with homemade salsa, slices of avocado and hummus too!

Enjoy!

Lots of love - Jill

Janet said...

What your doing IS big! Little is much when God is in it-- agreat old hymn. The lessons you are teaching your kids (and US) is so inspiring. Janet

AbiQ said...

Me and my hubby did that a few months back to save money to go to Uganda!! Tip: Veggie chili. Beans and rice with a twist. ;)

Joy Portis said...

We are taking the challenge with you Amy! We started tonight and we are all very excited to see what the Lord is going to teach us this month! Thank you for sharing this wonderful idea! I pray the Lord will give us other ideas to help teach ourselves, our children and others about sacrifice and the reality others face on a daily basis!

It's a joy to walk this journey with you

Kelli said...

Me again! I have an awesome Black Bean soup recipe if you want it...just do a search for it on my blog (My Roller Coaster Life...I have several).

I am seriously considering this beans and rice challenge...wanting to raise funds for a great cause. Pray for me as I consider this...thanks.

Caralina said...

What a great idea! You are incredible to come up with different ideas to make a difference.

We have rice and beans every lunch as we live at an orphanage in Uganda and that is actually extravagant here. It has changed my perspective on eating. I eat to live instead of living to eat.

Press on!

Amy Jo said...

My friends were talking about your family today...I follow your blog but have been away on vacation and missed this post. LOVE your idea. Interestingly enough, after having just finished reading Tom Davis' Scared, I was thinking that I would really like to follow a typical Swazi diet for awhile...or Ethiopian...or Ugandan. I pray that God will richly bless your family as you seek His heart for those in need.

With joy,
Amy