Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Homeschooling steps

When God first put the idea homeschooling on my heart I admit I was scared stiff.

My one sided conversation with the Lord went something like this...
"Lord, you have the wrong mommy".
"Lord, I am NOT smart enough and I will fail my kids".
"Lord, surely this is not what you are asking me to do."

But God in His goodness patiently gave me the time I needed to get used to the idea. I tossed it around and around in my head, changing my mind daily... yet knowing all along it was indeed exactly what He was asking me to do.

For awhile, I did my best to ignore him... and yet over and over He would gently bring people and situations into my life making His will more and more clear.

Then I mentioned homeschooling in a blog post... you know, just to sort of put it out there... just to see if you all would tell me I was crazy. But instead I was overwhelmed with the support and encouragement I received. So many of you emailed and offered advice, told me what worked and didn't work for you, shared curriculum ideas and more. Seriously, you guys are THE BEST.

Yet, still... you were so far away in real life... somewhere out there in blog land (or Houston right Angel?) and while I was overwhelmed with the support- I was also overwhelmed with where to even start. I am one of those people who learn best by being shown and then DOING it. Seriously, I am not afraid to try anything if someone walks me through it the first time. It's just the way I am made.

So, I began to bargain with God...

And that conversation went something like this.... "Fine Lord, I will do it, but ONLY if you send me one friend close by who homeschools too."

I don't know why I ever doubt God. I don't know why I don't spend my days shouting His glory. He always, ALWAYS provides- even when we don't deserve it.

Today I was invited to this playgroup full of AMAZINGLY COOL moms who all had absolutely adorable and sweet kids. Many were adoptive moms, all were living their life for the Lord. And yes, you guessed it- most of them homeschool. :0) Seriously, why do I ever question His goodness? Just being around these crazy cool, Jesus loving moms was more than I could have asked for. God is so good like that- and I am blessed.

image signature

18 comments:

Lindsay said...

Ok, commenting again on what a blessing it was to meet and hang out with you today! God is so cool like that!
So glad we can be part of your homeschooling journey!

Sophie said...

What a blessing that God confirmed this for you.
I've been tossing the idea around too, I just feel sad for my daughter though because she doesn't have a younger sibling to be schooled with, working on changing that.
Can't wait to see how it all works out.

Angel said...

YAY GOD!!!!!!!!!! He IS SO GOOD! I am so grateful that God ALWAYS supplies our needs. He has sent you precious friends for the journey. HURRAY! I want to meet them. AND even from Houston I am cheering you on like crazy.

Lorraine, AKA Forever Blessed said...

SOOOOO glad you're obeying God in this. I resisted for so long, but now we're entering our 8th year! It's the biggest blessing...just like adoption. It's tough at times, but the blessings are far worth it. :-) Remember when we chatted about this back in December/January when we first met in real life?!? Then I emailed you lots of info, and now God is surrounding you with real-life, nearby mentors/friends! God is SOOOO good!!! So proud of you, Amy! Love ya!

Laurel said...

I need to pray that the Lord will bring me a group of amazingly cool, Jesus loving, homeschool mommies. Oh how nice it would be to have some like-minded friends that lived close. :)

Thanking Jesus that He brought you just what you needed.

Wish I lived close by, so that I could be in your amazingly cool group of mommies.

Be BLESSED!

Laurel :)

Unknown said...

You know if I lived next door - hint hint hint - I would have you over and come to your house to help with homeschooling your beautiful brood!

Lots of love - praising Him with you that He is always faithful to finish what He has begun in us!
Jill

Kathleen said...

I had the same feelings that you shared...well at times I still do:) I am so thankful that God has given me each tool I have neeeded to make this happen for my children this fall. This will be our first year homeschooling and I am putting my faith in the one who has asked me to do this:) I really have no clue what I am doing but I know he does:)

Thanks for sharing your story of his goodness!!!

Adeye said...

Tooooooo fabulous!!!!! Go, go, go, friend. I'm the dumbest of all homeschooling moms...and still my kids are turning out just fine :)

You'll LOVE it!

Dardi said...

Very cool!

Danell said...

I was homeschooled and I loved it! I plan to homeschool mine. I am so close with my parents and I think that homeschool is partly to credit.

Polly said...

God is always so good. I am a homeschooling momma and I have to depend on Him to provide the strength, wisdom and energy to do it everyday.... and guess what..... He does... ALWAYS! Don't let the enemy try and convince you that you aren't smart enough, strong enough or patient enough.... God equips us to do what He calls us to do. He's equipping you, even with homeschooling friend. I love following you blog. Your kids are beautiful. We are headed to Ethiopia for a baby girl (soon, we hope).

Rebekah said...

Your kids will learn so much more about general life and managing a household by you homeschooling them! I am a believer that anyone can do it - my only stipulation when we homeschool is that my hubby teach math and science in the upper grades. :D

Hilary said...

Where do you live Laurel? I could definately hook you up in Indy. Try local forums and yahoo groups. Or your church even. I was amazed at how many homeschooling adoptive moms came out of the woodwork once i put myself out there.

Melinda said...

So cool! I am so happy you are homeschooling, I know you are going to do awesome! I am happy to hear God has provided exactly what you needed and I know He will continue to do that.

Flamingo said...

wow!! this is so exciting! i am scared stiff too. i keep saying "next year, next year." lol

i hope that you blog about your homeschooling venture because some of us need to be encouraged to step forward!

i wish i lived near you because i so would try it with you!

nates5bs said...

I've been homeschooling my kids for 8 years and love it! As they get older I feel more and more inadequate, but yet the Lord continues to remind me that He doesn't call the equipped, He equips the called. He always provides exactly what I need to teach my children and I know He will do the same for you!

darci said...

whootwhoo!! I must have missed thehomeschool post in themiddle of my crazy life, but whoohoo! welcome to the fun! :) another crazy homeschooling mom..darci :)

Susan said...

I am starting homeschool this next fall with my son in Kindergarten. I am terrified, but I am going to do my best and use all the resources I can find. I fought this with myself, my husband, and God. I finally submitted and I can honestly say I am overjoyed....but still terrified:) I think I can be both. Looking forward to being the one to help shape my child's worldview.