Friday, July 23, 2010

Foster Parenting

Anyone who knows me well in real life knows how I feel about my boys foster mother. Anyone who knows me well know she is my hero and if I could grow up and be like anyone in this world- it would be her. This precious, classy lady has a heart the size of Texas- and you cannot help but to want to be around her. Kaden and Carson are both crazy about her- as well as all of my children. It cracks me up because when she invites us over even my oldest kids will clear their schedules so they can go too. And I know exactly why. The minute you walk into their home- you feel like you are home. There, joy, acceptance and unconditional love meets you right at the door. We have been so blessed to have her and her PRECIOUS family (from the tallest to the smallest) in our lives over the past two years. God never stops amazing me with the 'extra' ways he blesses you through adoption. So, as you can probably tell, Mama Marsha had a special place in my heart and always will. What I have learned from her is priceless. It has also opened my eyes in a while new way as to what foster parents do.

There are just some jobs that I don't believe get enough recognition. Some jobs that people don't get the pay, the respect or the support they should. And foster parenting is one of those.

Actually, I think it's at the top of the list.

If there was any job I could think of that is so hard, yet incredibly needed it would be being a foster parent. These amazing families open up their homes to children who need a safe place and a good example. They need a place where they can learn how a healthy family interacts. But when you open your home to others you are opening up to a lot of unknowns. And when you open yourself up to the unknowns you are opening yourself up to take a risk. And sometimes that risk involves pain. Yet they do it anyway- for a child. And it's beautiful.

I received this precious email the other day from a foster mom after my last post. I believe it was a perfect example of putting someone else before your own feelings and your own wants. I believe it is the perfect example of truly being God's hands and feet.

Hi my name is Rachel and I am a foster to adopt mother. I wanted to thank you for writing the most recent blog. I have been a foster mother for a year and have had two placements waiting for the Lord to bring us our adoptive children. Just this last Sunday on the way to church, the lord broke my heart for my foster children's mother. I felt like the Holy Spirit was impressing on my heart to stop the half hearted prayers for her and pray with urgency that her heart would be healed and she would come to know the transforming love of Jesus, that praying to keep the kids is praying for one to fail and suffer the ultimate loss. I felt like the Lord was saying pray for her pray for the children and I will take care of all of you. Thanks again for the blog and talking about the shades of grey in this system
Rachel

I just wanted to say a special thank you to all of you foster families out there. Thank you for being who you are and doing what you do. I know it isn't easy- I know it doesn't always turn out the way you hope it will. But every hug you give, every diaper you change, every tear you wipe away, makes a difference in the life of a child. Thank you for that.

image signature

2 comments:

Deb said...

I heard a quote that fits this journey we are about to embark on as foster parents hoping to adopt.
“To love is to risk not being loved in return. To hope is to risk pain. To try is to risk failure, but risk must be taken because the greatest hazard in life is to risk nothing.”
Glad you shared her email. We have an open adoption now and I feel it will better prepare us to pray for our foster children's birth family. But I know that when the time comes it's going to be hard to remember to do just that knowing that He is in control.

Anonymous said...

Amy, if only the world could see your post! Thank you for always sharing your heart and touching mine today.

Fostering for 5 years...83 placements...and counting. It's not an easy job BUT it's my calling, at least for now! God is always good.