Wednesday, May 20, 2009

When less is more

For those of you living the American dream- how is that going for you?

As I have stated before on my blog, previously I spent more years than I want to admit chasing after the American Dream.
I admit, I truly believed that money and material things = security and happiness. I longed to have more believing it would make me be more. I thought bigger was better- and the newer, the nicer-the better it made me.
I am so thankful that the Lord spared me more unnecessary years of misery chasing after those empty, worthless dreams. And I am so thankful that I was finally able to see through the lies the world is telling us.
As the days are drawing near to our oldest son graduating from High school I am more than aware of how precious the days are and how quickly time flies by. Time-that we can never get back... time that we don't want to miss out on making a difference in because we are so trapped, so stressed out, and so focused on reaching for more- that we miss hearing God’s voice.
My prayer for you today is that are not finding yourself in that trap. My prayer for you is that as you are living in this ‘here today gone tomorrow’ world - you are able to shut out the harmful influences that steal your eyes and heart away from God. I pray that God’s work becomes your labor of love and that you don’t loose focus of choosing His priorities over yours.

“Lord let our eyes be opened” Matthew 20:33

3 comments:

Unknown said...

The only dreams I have include adding more kids :) BUT, I LOVE your reminder of keeping it ALL focused on Him-you can't take a DARN thing with you when you leave this earth! Except those you influenced and witnessed to and became believers! That will be AWESOME. I need to do more in that area!

Unknown said...

Can I just hug you?

AMEN! AMEN! AMEN!

Love you,
Jill

Andrea Hill said...

What a great post Amy. So true. So many people are in the rat race trying to impress, insecurities with their imagine so they shop till they drop with clothes, furniture, cars.... and on and on. I too was like that just 5 years ago until I accepted Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior. I think no matter how hard we try we are still worldly in some little things but as long as we keep focused on Him... Wow what this world could become if many people would see it that way you described it.