Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Pulling it together

So I've definitely been a slacking blogger here lately. Have you ever had one of those times where you just cannot for the life of you focus? That is how I have been these past few days. Can't even finish a thought- so bear with me here. I wouldn't really call it being overwhelmed- I'd say it's more consumed. Funny because as I posted earlier that is the word the Lord keeps giving to me- consumed. Consumed by Him.



Since we have 'spilled the beans' about our new additions it has been, to say the least, interesting. Honestly, you will probably laugh about this- but I didn't really realize that it was that big of a deal to adopt five kids at once. I always say that God can use even stupid people- so here I am- all signed up- check the stupid box. To me it just seemed so simple- a sibling group of five needs a family- we love kids- we are passionate about adoption- so where do we sign up? Apparently not everyone sees it that way.



As I have shared with some- I'm okay with people being shocked. Since we are figuring out that not everyone adopts five children at once -when they already have seven children- I am going to be OK with 'shock'. What I am having a hard time digesting though is the downright rude comments. So once again- guess I am stupid- because I just cannot see how this could be anything but a beautiful thing. I never said it would be easy- I do know that much. But this is not about easy. I didn't sign up for easy. It's not about me being a perfect mother. Not possible. No such thing. I know there will be days where I will fall flat on my face (I do that now with seven). There will be plenty of days were I don't get it right, days when I am so tired, so exhausted, and feel like I have nothing left in me to give. And yet it will be those times when God will be glorified the most because in those moments I will be reminded more than ever that this is not about me- it's all about Him.



So stick around and see... I have no idea how to parent 12 children- but I am willing. Willing to give all that I have, willing to work hard to figure out what works best for each child, willing to give up my comfort so that a child can be safe, cherished. Willing to love- regardless of if they love me back, willing to give up my space, my time, my energy, my sleep and some days my sanity. And want to know another stupid thing- I'm EXCITED about it! God used stupid little me- He trusts me to raise His most prized possessions. He loves me that much! Oh I am more than just signed up- I used a permanent marker. :0)



Once again I wanted to say a MEGA HUGE thank you to so many of you who have emailed, called and wrote about us on your blogs. God has blessed us more than words can say through you our precious friends, family and fellow adoptive families. Your support far outweighs the rude comments any day! You guys rock and we love you all!

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think that anyone who has a "rude" comment is jealous of your commitment to God. You trust the Lord and I think he trusts you too. I think anyone who has something to say, just tell them that, "God must think I'm doing something right or he wouldn't have given me 5 more beautiful children". Then ask how they are serving the Lord?

:) Ellen

Recovering Noah said...

I love it! Can I copy it to my blog? I think more people need to hear it.

P.S. I don't think your crazy. :-)

Leslie

Recovering Noah said...

I love it! Can I copy it to my blog? I think more people need to hear it.

P.S. I don't think your crazy. :-)

Leslie

Debbie T said...

Amy, you're not anywhere close to stupid! And if you are, sign me up! I love you for your heart and for your commitment for living for Him! Let the rude-commenting people say what they want - I know who's stupid and it's not you!! :)I wish I lived closer to help you prepare for your kiddos! Hugs, DebbieT

Elizabeth said...

I say, "check your rudeness at the door". No worries, we have your back!! I can't wait to see what more God does with you!! Thanks for letting me come along on the ride!!
Hugs and love,
Elizabeth

Melinda said...

I agree with everyone else so far, you are far from stupid. You have an amazing heart, a heart that is willing to follow God wherever he leads, no matter what! If that is stupid, then I will join the stupid crowd. I would much rather be there, then living a life that is consumed with me. Just know where there will be the nay sayers out there and the rude comments by some, you have many people who love and support you and your family and can't wait to see what God does through you!
love,
Melinda

Angel said...

There is a BIG difference between stupid and surrendered. You, my friend, are NOT stupid.... dangerously surrendered for sure! Hugs, Angel

kim p said...

It will be so exciting, Amy, to see the way God uses and blesses your family through your willingness to live a life sold out to Him! I am proud to call you my friend! : )

Live to love and laugh said...

You are not stupid. There is something so relieving about being totally surrended and accepting God's plan. If someone has not done that they cannot understand your desire to follow God's will in adoption. I think it is easier to be judgmental when you are not fully committed!:) You are a great mommy and it will take some adjusting but you will be up to the challenge very quickly. How do I know? Because it is a challenge ordained by God.

Sara said...

You are brave and that what sets up apart! Like I have been telling Bryce, it doesn't matter what others think, just ask yourself if God is proud of you, you are proud of yourself.

Bonky's Mom said...

I love this post--everything about it...one comment really stuck out..."I'm excited!"

I LOVE IT! Kids should never go into a home where someone will "take" them...but into a home where someone says "Man, I wish you'd been here sooner...we couldn't wait for you to get here!"

And yes...it's about Him...and them.

I am beside myself with excitement to see what all God is going to do with you guys!

Nothing but sheer excitement, support and love from BonkLand!

I CAN'T WAIT!

Anonymous said...

Amy and Todd - We love you and are so proud of you. We will support you all the way with this wonderful new chapter in your lives.

Proud Mom and Dad

whenpigsfly said...

Again,
as a mom to almost 16, I am thrilled that you answered God's call for this precious group of five! We moms of jumbo sized familes are a different breed. God knows that, that's why He didn't stop us with one or two. The moms of one or two are a different breed too and God can use us all. It just makes me sad that some people think having an abundance of love over a priority for "stuff" is mixed up. We may never go to Disney land, but can we ever cook up a feast together in the kitchen, laugh louder and longer than anyone else we know, and be the quickest to invite others to join us too! Blessings to your growing family from ours!!
Linda
www.smithsoup.blogspot.com

Pedro and Felis Patlan said...

Amy and Family,

You guys are amazing. Far from stupid...really! I wish I had a heart like yours, you have to have a special calling to parent 12 children...I love children but I know that God has not called me to parent more than I already have but help those children, find families like yours, who ARE called by God to offer your unconditional love.

You say you are excited and I am excited for you. Can't wait to see these 5 more beautiful children.

Holly said...

Amy,
I love you girl! I LOVE that you are WILLING!!!!!
What a beautiful word- WILLING.
The Lord will supply all your needs- just watch and see how He is glorified in all this!
He LOVES you!! Oh how He delights in you!
What an honor to be entrusted with 5 more souls!
Love,
Holly

Michelle Riggs said...

I am so proud of you guys. Great post, Amy. I hate it when people who are afraid to serve God feel the need to talk about the people who do serve Him.

You and Todd are GREAT parents. I can't wait to meet your new children. I am so happy for you and for them.

Love,

Michelle