Friday, December 28, 2007

New Years Resolutions

Come on, admit it. We've all tried them… you know, "I’m going to lose 10 lbs, I’m going to eat healthier, exercise more, give up smoking, never say a cuss word again" (You fill in the blank). So, I got to thinking this year about all that I needed to change~ all the things "I” wish were different about me…and then it hit me. What if God has something more in mind for my life than the American Dream? Something better? Something more than squeezing into a size 5 pair of jeans? What if I could actually get to know Jesus even more and I could be increasingly useful to Him here on earth? Are those the changes I really need to be working towards? And what if my focus each morning - not once a year - was on renewing my intimacy with Him and allowing him to change me where He sees need? “Commit to the Lord whatever you do, and your plans will succeed." Proverbs 16:3
Our New Years Resolutions come from our priorities. Do our goals reflect our priorities? And even more importantly, are our priorities in line with our faith? Or do they serve us and only us? In Rick Warren’s best selling book The Purpose-Driven Life, he reminds us that life is not about us. We should not be living simply for ourselves. We are here for a much more significant purpose than that. Are we allowing God's purpose for our lives to be our first priority or are we pursuing our American dream?
Real change - real resolution-comes from inside- a heart change. In order to change I must be willing to turn myself over to the Lord, day by day. I can choose to focus on ME- or I can choose to focus on Him. But I cannot do both. “But seek first his [God’s] kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.” Matthew 6:33

Lord, I know how blessed I am to arise each morning knowing that joy is mine because of you. My life is a gift that you have provided daily- and I choose to treasure this gift and use it wisely to bring glory and honor to you. Help me to remember that it is not about me… I trust you to determine the purpose of my life. I resign myself to your perfect will.

Will you allow the Lord to use you in 2008? Fully? No holding back? If so, I guarantee 2008 will be the best year of your life.



4 comments:

Jenny said...

Yes!!! I love this! I am going to ask God to use me more...but I'm gonna do it with a 10 lbs lighter body!!! Ha! Love ya! jenny

Paula said...

I knew there was a reason I stumbled upon your blog. I really needed to read that. Yes, I need to commit my life more to the Lord and see what changes He has for me.
Thank You

Angel said...

GREAT POST! This is such a good word. Girl if you liked Rick Warren's book you need to check out his wifes book. It's called Dangerous Surrender... YOU ARE GONNA LOVE IT! Russ got it for me. So soooooo good. About opening our eyes to God's true call for us. love ya friend. Angel

Anonymous said...

I like this post. This is definitely something I struggle with. It sometimes hard to just let go and let God, ya know? I've already been trying to do that more and more in my life. You're inspiring to keep on! DebbieT