Wednesday, December 26, 2007

My friend, My hero



I wanted to share with you a very special person in my life- Melissa. Melissa and I have been friends since grade school- she is just one of those people in my life who have always been there. But I realized something this last week- sometimes we take for granted that our family and friends will always just 'be there' and unfortunately that is not how life always works. Melissa is 38 years old and was diagnosed with a rare form of cancer. She has a husband and 2 precious girls- and she was told a couple of weeks ago that her journey is about to end. Last week when I went home for Christmas, I went to visit Melissa and had to say good-bye for the last time. It was one of the hardest things I have ever had to do in my life- but also something that I am so blessed by. Melissa and I spent almost 2 hours talking- remembering, and just cherishing our last time together. I have so many memories in my life that include Melissa- and I am a better person because I knew her. She is an inspiration to everyone who meets her. Melissa has faced this disease with a positive attitude and with more courage than I could ever image. I love her so much and I thank God for every second that I have had with her. Melissa will leave behind a family who will never quite be the same without her... please pray for all of them as they face one of the hardest things in life.
Dear father, help us to never take a moment of our life for granted... let us remember that every second of life we are given is precious. I thank you for Melissa and for her example of courage and strength. Please give her family peace in knowing that you alone are in control of everything and that you will never leave them. I know that because you are taking Melissa home with you at such a young age you must have an important plan in heaven for her... "Well done, good and faithful servant! You have been faithful with a few things; I will put you in charge of many things." Matthew 25:21

2 comments:

Angel said...

You have taught me so much about living life in a meaningful way. Thank you for that. I am so sorry for the pain that this family is enduring. My heart is so heavy about it. Angel

Anonymous said...

Amy,
It is so good that you were able to visit with your friend and say goodbye. So many times, because it is so hard to do, saying goodbye doesn't get done (like with my mom). I'm praying for peace for her,peace for her family and for you. I'm sure your visit meant the world to her. DebbieT