Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Listening...

This came today in my inbox. I love it when God meets you right where you are. For the past couple of days I have been so blessed by the precious emails and support we have gotten. And yet often I have felt overwhelmed and totally questioning if God picked the wrong girl for the job. I am just a mommy with a passion and desire to help the least of these... just a mommy who knows what it feels like to want so badly to help the least of these- but to have no idea how to come up with the money. Just a mommy who wants to leave this world just a little bit better than when she came. I don't know why God blessed us the way He did, but one thing I have found is that I can never 'guess' what God is up to or why. That is not my job. My job is to just be willing, just be available when He calls. I don't have the answers- but I know the one who does... and I am listening Lord.


God Speaks through Circumstances
TGIF Today God Is First Volume 2, by Os Hillman
08-12-2009

"As you do not know the path of the wind, or how the body is formed in a mother's womb, so you cannot understand the work of God, the Maker of all things" (Eccl 11:5).

God will often use circumstances in our lives to direct us in making and confirming decisions. I have often discovered this to be the case - but only after a situation has occurred. I later look back and see how God worked in the situation.

Years ago, I launched a magazine designed for Christians in the workplace and I was having lunch with a Christian leader named Larry who headed a ministry that helps men and women apply biblical principles to managing money.

During our lunch, I explained to Larry that I had noticed that there were many grassroots workplace ministries cropping up all over the country. I asked Larry if he was familiar with some of the groups since he had taught a course and wrote a book on operating a business on biblical principles. But he said he was not. He then asked, "It would be nice to know what all these groups are doing so we don't duplicate efforts. Do you think you could invite some of these groups for a roundtable discussion?" I told him I would and I proceeded to invite four main workplace ministries that I had worked with in the past.

Then something unexpected began to happen. I began to get requests from ministries all around the country that had heard about the gathering and they were asking if they could attend the roundtable. By the time the event actually took place, 54 people showed up representing 45 organizations from around the country! Unfortunately, Larry had a last minute conflict and was not able to attend, and he informed me that I would have to host the meeting myself. That was the birth of Marketplace Leaders, the ministry I now lead full time. I often joke that God tricked me into starting this ministry because He knows I never would have done that on my own at that time.

God often confirms His direction through circumstances. Be on alert that when God sets up situations that are out of your control - He may be giving you direction through these circumstances.

Today's Prayer
Lord, I'm reminded today of that old hymn "When We Walk with the Lord." It says "what You say, we will do, where You send we will go; never fear, only trust and obey." Help my condition, Lord, that I will not fear, but that will walk with You all the days of my life and have faith to always trust and obey, and leave the outcome to You. In Your name I pray. Amen.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


image signature

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Praying over you and God's awesome calling on your life for the least of these!

Love you,
Jill