Thursday, December 18, 2008

And this is why I blog...

There have been several times where I have considered not blogging anymore... reasons like lack of time, or feeling like I am being 'judged' by others or perhaps sharing more than maybe I should. Then add in the part about not being allowed to share pictures of our new kiddo's (which is of course my favorite thing!) it just makes me wonder if I should even bother. Today I received this email with a picture included of this beautiful, precious family and I knew that without a doubt this is the real reason I blog. If anything I can share even helps bring one child home it was worth it all.

Amy, I have been praying about adoption for two years now. It seems like FOREVER! My biggest prayer has been that my husband would get on board. Today marks and answer to prayer for me as I had him read a part of your blog. I myself started reading two days ago. A friend of mine is fostering to adopt and started up a blog. She emailed me asking me to pray for her and I broke down and told her I had been praying about adoption for two years. She told me about your blog and said it is amazing. I do have to agree with her on that! What I have read so far is like a breath from God. :) God is using you in the blog to talk to me and whoever else reads it. Thank you for that. Anyway.... ask I was saying, I had my husband read part of your blog, your adoption story on Mya and Aleigha. It touched me so much, I thought it would speak to him as it did me. Well... IT DID! We talked and he said I should start looking further into adoption. :) God has answered one prayer today that I have been praying about for 2 YEARS! Praise God!!!!!! Now.... the hard part... to find an agency, figure out where God is calling us to adopt from, and start the process. This is my prayer request I ask of you. I just got done reading your prayer request blog. :) I ask you to pray we are guided to the right agency and for God to speak to us on where we will find our forever daughter. Currently we have 4 biological children. They are all boys. Ages 10, 8, 7 and just about 4. I love them dearly, but know God is calling us to have a little girl in our lives. I also have always thought we would just adopt a 3 year old, but God has also put on my heart that a little girl 4 and under would be just fine as well. Thank you again for your blog. I am not done reading as of yet!!!! I am still looking forward to all of 2008! Hugs to you and will be praying for you as well and would love to have something specific to pray about if you would like. Sincerely, Mary

Would you all join me in prayer for this sweet family who is just starting out on this amazing journey of adoption? Pray that they hear the Lord clearly, pray that He guides their steps and provides for them financially and holds them emotionally. Also I pray for any of you who are uncertain whether or not to take the first step... the need is the call. Go for it!!

11 comments:

Andrea Hill said...

What a nice letter. Absolutely I will pray for Mary and her family. And your blog is so very inspiring. I have to agree with Mary. Hope for Mary that God has a precious little girl in her near future.

Violet said...

I am definitely praying for them!

Amy,
I want to encourage you in a different sort of way. I've had a passion for adoption for as long as I could remember. My Mom told me that starting at age 5 I began telling her I would have 6 kids, 3 of my own, and 3 adopted. When I was 10 I told her I was going to adopt a little girl from China. When I was 14 I heard very distinctly the name I was to give my adopted daughter. When I was 18 and went to China it was prophesied over me on a 30 hrs train ride, while covering some of the most desolate territory, that I would return someday for a reason that I already knew.

At 20, my plan for my life fell apart as I left the college I loved for circumstances beyond my control, and every door for my chose major was slammed shut in my face, AND the only man I had considered opening my heart to, pursued me, only too hurt me not to much later. I felt God tell me not to limit myself and what my future would hold, his plan is much greater than anything I could have imagined, and by setting my own plans in some ways I limit Him.

The world of blogs has opened my eyes so much more to adoption, and all the possibilities. I am currently pursuing a psychology degree and applying for a intern ship with the Department of family and child services, as a social worker.

Blogs like yours, and "Smiles and Trials" have given me a real look into the lives of people who take a leap of faith. I feel God is using these blogs to prepare my heart, and to give me faith and wisdom for the day he calls me to follow Him, even in the face of opposition from family, friends, or mentors. Now, I won't go into my season of parenting, adoption, fostering, or whatever it looks like with self pride and a know it all attitude. When it seems to hard, and hopeless, I will already have people who have gone before me to seek support.

And someday, I too may have a husband who needs something to move his heart.

Beyond this, your blog has served to help solidify my passion and desire, and I now wait with anticipation for WHATEVER HIS plan is. Perhaps someday I will adopt a little girl from China....and Africa, and South AMerica, and through the foster care system, and India.....who knows, possibilities are endless. But without people like you, who are open, and honest, I may never had thought to dream so big....that perhaps I can find a husband who would be willing to have not only a half dozen kids...but a dozen, to trust God CAN and WILL provide....

The fact that you face adversity with this blog tells me you are touching hearts for Christ...Perhaps Satan doesn't like it when we seek him and pursue him...he would like it if you stopped, because to him it would be a small victory


VIolet

P.S., Thank you for your info. on the name changes. I completely curious. I've seen both happen, and I have a friend who completely changed her name when rededicating her life to Christ for simular reasons. I have thought about it a time or too but, never felt the freedom to do so.

tcsl said...

Lovely story. As a foster/adoptive/biological parent of 12, I found that starting at our local Department of Family and Children's Services, and becoming a foster parent was wonderful. We loved every minute of it and were able to help about 50 kids over the years, with eight of them sticking permanently.

Good luck and best wishes,

Roger
http://TheAdoptionThing.org

Leah Maya Benjamin said...

It makes me very mad that anyone would comment something negative about your BLOG, I love it and am so happy for your family and ALL your children that you have eachother. I'm sure there alot of people out there similar to this one that read your blog and are more inspired that their dream is possible or it helps their spouse to realize the possibilities. Thank you for your BLOG.
www.missmayita.blogspot.com

Flamingo said...

what an awesome feeling to know that God used YOU in being instrumental in someone else's journey!

Room For More said...

Amen, sister!

I nominated you for an award on my blog...check it out

Andrea Hill said...

I tagged you.

Phyllis said...

Amy - I am so glad you are going to keep blogging. I seriously don't know how you do it with your busy life, but you are making a difference...plus it's fun to come along with you on your journey. I know it's hard not to post pictures of your kids...and you know I told you I'm going to come see them. I know where you live :) I'll be praying for Mary as they begin the amazing journey of adoption.
Phyllis & Kristen

Anonymous said...

Your blog has been completely inspirational for me!! I have a heart filled with compassion for orphans and for as long as I can remember I have had the desire to adopt. Adoption has been a topic of much discussion in our home and just last week my husband agreed to go to an information at our local child service agency to learn more about adoption. I am so excited to see what God has in store! Thanks Amy!

Valerie said...

Hi Amy, I just stumbled upon your blog and I'm completely moved. We just adopted a little girl from the US in September and I know about that transition. I can't imagine bringing 4 home. I will be praying for strength, that Jesus will carry you and your family and the "new normal" will be here before you know. it. God Bless you.

Doreen said...

Very cool story Amy!! God talks to us in many ways and one way is through others...you are a blessing to this family and that precious little girl who is waiting some where in this world for her mommy , daddy and 4 brothers will someday be together because of you...doreen