Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Eyes fixed on Him

Lately, over and over we have had people say to us "I don't think I could do it... I don't think I could do what you are doing... give it all away, quit my job and move across the country with seven children."

And what I want to say to them is- neither can we.

Neither can we.

Because you see, more than anything I want people to understand- we are no different than they are.

We are no stronger, no better equipped, no braver, or more faithful.

We can't do this...

But He can.

And so it is that every.single.day we get up, with our eyes focused on Him. His strength, His goodness, His abilities, His holiness... and we plant our feet on the ground, taking one step, one moment, at a time.

From our house selling in 4 days (with no realtor in this market), to our living rent free for the past 4 months, from our being invited to work with the most incredible people in the world at Eagles Nest orphanage and God hand choosing every single one of our partners- it was all Him.

All Him.

We couldn't have done that if we tried.

So often we strive to make it in this world on our own abilities.

And we miss out.

We miss out on living In HIM.

And we only do what we are brave enough, strong enough, confident enough to do.

We chase after dreams that have nothing to do with His glory and everything to do with ours.

And in the mean time, we fall short of the plans He had for all lives all along.

When you choose to live for the Lord your life is going to look a whole lot different than the world around you.

Why? Because the world and the word are complete different.

Ever notice that?

The world tell us we deserve it all.

The word tells us He deserves our all.

The world tell us it's all about us.

The word tells us we must die to self.

The world tell us we must have more.

The word tells us we must become less.

My challenge to you today is to ask Him. Don't be afraid, just get down on your knees, seek His face and ask Him what He has for your life... and then in obedience take that first step and keep your eyes fixed on Him.

It may seem scary at first, and it may even seem impossible. It may not look like anything you ever imagined or resemble anything close to what you once believed. But one thing I can promise you is, when you dig deeper into the word it is there, you are guaranteed to find, exactly what you have been searching for all along.






                                                                                                                (photo credit Austin Davidson)



Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.  ~Hebrews 12:2
image signature

13 comments:

Jolene said...

Amen Blessings to you all!!

Dardi said...

Beautifully said & so true!! I have been working on a post along these same lines...God is definitely to be the main character in our stories!

Hope the final days leading up to travel are filled with much blessing & encouragement! Love you!! ;o)

Anonymous said...

Wow, this is exactly what I needed this morning. I am exhausted in everyway you can imagine and I had no idea how in the world I would make it through today, but you are right... I can't, but HE CAN!! I chose to look to Him, my strength to enable me today to be the wife, mom, sister, friend, and everything else I need to be today. Thank you for this, for your encouragement in what really matters. "You shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free."

Courtney said...

Praying for you guys as you make final emotional, physical, and spiritual preparations!

"Are These Kids All Yours?" said...

I say this all the time when people comment on the number of children we have. When i try to explain that we are NOT ANGELIC....it's like they don't understand. It's soo true...we can NOT DO IT!! ONLY GOD!!!

PRAYING OVER YOUR FAMILY!!!!!!!!!!!!

Renae said...

You know I've been praying for confirmation lately about going on the mission field...my husband sure wishes you would quit confirming it;)! Seriously....we could use your prayers about this:). Praying you all the way to Guatemala Block family!!!:)

Unknown said...

If everyone in our house were NOT sleeping I would LITERALLY SHOUT AMEN AMEN AMEN!

Love you!
Jill

channy said...

Another amen! I needed this, too, as we prepare to bring home child #5 and #6 from Ethiopia very soon. I've been feeling overwhelmed and I definitely know I CAN'T do it. Just like I COULDN'T take in a newborn at age 43. I always find out after each adoption that the blessings far outweigh the challenges. God does amazing things in our lives every time as we step out in faith.

helen said...

Wonderful, wonderful words of Life. The Lord has given you vision of Himself, so that He is truly everything in your lives. It really is ALL ABOUT CHRIST.

It inspires me by the Holy Spirit to really surrender and pray that every day He gives is a day to put my life totally into His hands and allow Him to work out that marvelous work which satisfies His heart, and in that i am more than satisfied. Glory to God.

With love and prayers.

Anonymous said...

Your story is such an inspiration and this post in particular really moved me spiritually...thank you so much for sharing!

Whitney and Daniel Bunker said...

Thank you for that reminder. It is all about Him and through Him we can accomplish the impossible.

http://citywithoutorphans.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

This is a wonderful post! Thank you for sharing :)

bandofbrothers said...

just a stranger. popping by to say what an encouragement this post was, to my heart. when i see so many people chasing after the dreams of this world, i get discouraged and so you are a breath of fresh air to me.