Monday, February 8, 2010

Floating hearts



I love teaching my kids different ways to see the good in others and to show they care. So with Valentines Day fast approaching we are showing the love to each other with our 'floating heart'. We simply cut a big read heart out of construction paper and this heart is floating around our house this week. Yesterday, Aleigha received the heart from Kaden with a package of skittles and a note written on the heart that thanked her for reading him his favorite book the other day. Today, Aleigha left the heart on Mya's bed with a tootsie roll and on the heart she wrote "I love you Mya because you share with me." Tomorrow it will be Mya's turn to write a special note to someone in our family and 'plant' it somewhere where they will find it.


It's cool to see the heart fill up special messages to others in our family and it's fun to see how they are sharing their love for each other. I challenged them to get creative and either leave each other something like a small treat- or they could do something nice for that person like make their bed or draw them a picture. Nothing expensive- just a nice thought and a sweet way to let someone know that they are loved and appreciated.


As a mommy I think it's so important to teach our kids show kindness and to learn to 'look for' goodness in others- and then thank them. One of the greatest gifts I can give my children is not a stuffed bear this valentines day but the life long skill that will carry on into their marriage and relationship with others one day.


Love each other with genuine affection, and take delight in honoring each other. Romans 12:10

image signature

15 comments:

Kim said...

LOVE this idea!

noneya said...

love this idea....stealing it. lol

natali said...

great idea, i might just "steal" this idea too someday :))

Unknown said...

Great idea, Amy! One of these days I'll be creative...until then , I'll google for Valentine ideas! Hope you guys are doing well!

Mandi said...

awesome...thank you for sharing this great idea. I need all the creative ideas I can get, to teach my kids about what's most important.

JG said...

What a great idea!

Unknown said...

What a great idea! Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

such a neat idea....love your creativity!

heather

Courtney said...

i LOVE that idea! thanks for sharing!!

Andrea Hill said...

What a great idea that I must copy. But teaching the kids love and kindness is just so important.

Sally-Girl! said...

Love it! Love it! Thanks for sharing it!!

Anonymous said...

Awesome idea! You all love eachother so much.
Mattie

acceptance with joy said...

Just letting you know.... we're stealing your idea :-)

acceptance with joy said...

Just letting you know.... we're stealing your idea :-)

Karin said...

What a cool idea! I love it! :)