Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Serious.life Magazine

Long before Abby Riggs was diagnosed with leukemia Michelle and I became friends through adoption. One thing that I loved about Michelle was her faith. She was constantly asking people how she could pray for them. That stuck with me. It’s kind of nice to know that someone cares enough about you to ask how they can pray. There have been some dark days in our lives (especially lately) where I know the power of prayers was the only thing getting us through.

Since Abby was diagnosed I have heard many people say when the hard days rear their ugly heads in their lives “well, at least it isn’t as bad as what poor Abby and her family are going through, I can’t imagine." And I understand. Watching your baby, your precious child suffer has to be the hardest thing any parent could ever go through. Yet when I talk to Michelle or Brent- there is always laughter in their voice or in the background somewhere in the hospital room. They are always so positive, while still keeping a healthy balance of reality of Abby’s situation. And as I look at the ‘little’ blog that Michelle first started before abby was diagnosed I remember Michelle dragging her feet to start a blog because she thought she didn’t have anything interesting to say- and how no one would read it anyway... I shake my head now and smile at all of their followers. And in the mist of it all, in the middle of Abby’s treatments, is Michelle, still smiling, her voice still of laughter, asking how people how she can pray for them- all because of her faith.

"Faith is not a belief that everything will turn out to please us; rather it is the confidence that no matter how things turn out, God will somehow use the events in our days for His glory and for our good".


Awhile back Brent, Abby’s daddy, who happens to be amazingly talented, started a Christian on line magazine called Serious Life. I happen to think it is fabulous, not only because Travis appreared on the cover with Abby- but just because it is an all around great magazine. If you haven’t yet you need to check it out. http://www.seriouslifemagazine.com/ You too will be blessed.
And Michelle, I know you are busy, and I know you don’t have time to read all blog posts anymore- but just wanted to tell you thanks. Thanks for your friendship and thanks for being the real deal. (And Brent you pretty much rock too!) Love you guys and praying every day for Abby.

6 comments:

Mel said...

Their blog and magazine are amazing...they are a blessing to this mom.

Michelle Riggs said...

We love you guys. I can't wait until Abby is well enough to visit you again.

You are such a wonderful friend Amy. You have been in my thoughts and prayers all day.

Unknown said...

Amy - I was just stopping in to see how you are doing? Praying for you and all that is going on!

I pray you are comforted by His love and resting in His will for your family!

I agree - the Riggs are pretty special people and truly hope to meet you and them this side of heaven!

Love and hugs,
Jill

Melinda said...

I have been praying for you and wondering how you are doing. I would love to pray for specific needs you might have, so please let me know how you would like me to pray for you and your family!
Also I have to agree with the Michelle and her family. They are a great encouragement and have a wonderful on-line magazine.

Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend said...

I love your blog. So glad I ran across it in my blog reading.

I am new to the blog world and have so much to learn.

When you have some time, stop by for a visit! Praying for you.

Teresa

Unknown said...

Hey, Amy! I have been thinking about you a lot lately. I talked to Amy J this week and well, call or email me 903-227-9923 or serena.morrow@hotmail.com
Love you lots! -Serena