Tuesday, June 3, 2008

My Hero's

Often times, as an adoptive parent people comment on how 'nice' it was that we 'saved' these children. They often act as if 'I' did a heroic act by adopting my children. But let me set the record straight. Let me introduce you to the REAL hero's....

Super Aleigha

Aleigha was our first adopted child. This precious little hero came to us at the age of 6 months from Guatemala. I had no idea how her adoption would touch the very depths of my soul. She changed me. Gave me the courage to be more than I thought I could be. She made me look beyond my own small world and see the entire world through the eyes of Jesus. I will never forget the look of trust and hope that I saw in her big black eyes the day they placed her in my arms. Thank you Aleigha Grace for the gift of you.

Super Mya


Mya came home to us 2 months shy of her 4th birthday. I remember the first time I met Mya she came walk down the hall of the orphanage dressed in a purple princess gown. But what struck me more than anything about this precious hero was how happy she was- despite the curve ball life had thrown at her. It amazed me that no matter how hard her past had been, despite the suffering, despite the abuse and the broken heart- she was so willing to open herself up once again and trust. She knew nothing about me, but because of the hope in her in heart she never gave up trusting life would get better. There have been times when I have been guilty of feeling sorry for myself and letting myself feel hopeless. Mya is a constant reminder to me that no matter how helpless things get- with a positive attitude, enough courage and a heart of hope you will survive. Thank you Mya for being just the way you are. You bless me daily.

Super Kaden Adopting this little hero was not something I had ever planned and yet I can honestly say that I have never felt closer to God then when Kaden walked into our life. I used to have this idea or 'image' of how my children would be- and Kaden changed that- for the better. He taught me that my idea of 'perfect' was totally warped. He helped me to look deep inside myself and see the changes that needed to come. He made me be stronger than I ever thought I could be and he gave me a passion for life that I never had before. Because of this child my life has taken on a new meaning. He has made me whole and I will forever be grateful.


THANK YOU GOD for the privilege of watching your children- these true hero's SOAR!!!!

6 comments:

Elizabeth said...

They are all TOO CUTE in those super hero costumes and Mya's 'hat' take the cake!

Thank you so much for sharing all that you do with us. We hope to adopt one day soon. (My 4 yr old would like me to go get her a sister from China and a brother from Africa on Sunday!)

Thank you for letting me learn and be humbled by all that you say. You really challenge me in my thinking and my life. Blessings.

Recovering Noah said...

I LOVE this post! You've got the most amazing and awesome kids ever. (And their mom's pretty cool, too!)

Leslie

Michelle Riggs said...

Oh I loved this post. Great pictures. I can't wait to get the kids together.

Abby told us tonight that she wanted to go on an airplane to Guatemala and get another baby. :-)

Sarah said...

What a great post! Awesome kids - I loved the "hat" also! :)

Heather said...

Could they be any cuter? They are all so cute!!! Miss you guys! Heather

Anonymous said...

there costems are amazing how did you do that