Monday, June 23, 2008

Adoption Community

I’ve lived in a lot of places in my life and I have to say the ‘adoption community’ is my favorite place to be!

One of the greatest blessings for us along the adoption journey is becoming a part of the ‘adoption community’. I stand in awe of so many of these amazing families I have had the privilege to have met.

While of course biological children are a blessing beyond words- there is something special about being among those who often times knowingly choose a child with a special need. Now please understand that I am not in any way saying that biological parents would not love their children with these conditions in the same way, I am simply saying that when I see a parent ‘choose’ a child with special needs, when I witness them being open to something most of us avoid- I see a little piece of Jesus before my eyes.

Being in the delivery room and hearing a doctor say words like “cleft palate’, HIV+, Cerebral palsy, blind, missing limbs, hearing impaired - is the kind of thing that every parent dreads. And yet while adoptive parents certainly do not want that for their child either- they are often open to adopting a child with those needs and love them just the way they are. They love them as they come to them with a history, at various ages and with various scars. They choose to love them even though they may be a different color or nationality. They know that because of their choice- the road may be a little more difficult to walk- yet they are willing to walk beside that child and hurt with them. I have heard many adoptive parents say things like ‘I am drawn to deaf children, children born with HIV, children with cerebral palsy’. That means they are ALLOWING these conditions- and loving the child through it BY CHOICE. Once again to me that speaks leaps and bounds to God. I don’t know about you, but I have found that I am a lot stronger when someone else who loves me is beside me cheering me on. Yet not only are they giving their child courage and strength- it is a blessing for me to be among those who ‘get it’, who have walked that road and know the road so clearly. Knowing there is already a warn path gives me courage as well.

I just want to say Thank you to those of you who I have met along the path of adoption. You bless me, inspire me, and make me more than I dared to become. Thank you for sharing your story and your heart. I am more than thankful for this connection we will forever share.

3 comments:

Carolyn T said...

Amy.......If I LOVED you any more, it would be weird!!I second your thoughts.....it IS SO JESUS......
Such an honor and privilege and SO humbling to be a part of...I always say if I could convey it in words....HOW THESE CHILDREN BLESS US.....there would be more demand than supply of these kids........
LOVE YOUR HEART!!! SOOOOOO MUCH!!!
Care

Elizabeth said...

I pray that God will allow us to be part of this community too. You inspire me with all that you say and more. Thank you for your heart, your love, and your leadership in this area. Blessings.

Holly said...

Ditto!!
Holly