Saturday, June 20, 2009

Life to the fullest

18 years ago today I met the man of dreams. He was coaching my nephew in baseball and I had come to watch him play. I had no idea that day as I made my way to the baseball fields how much my life was about to change. Life is so awesome like that… you never know what is around each corner and you never know what amazing things might happen next.

Yet 18 years ago I don’t think I felt quite so optimistic… It was a time in my life when sadly I was hurting, and I was lost. I was trying to find my way in life, figure out who I was, and struggling as a single mom. I always knew there was a God- but I definitely wasn’t living like there was. I had absolutely no personal relationship with God and I am not even sure if I knew how to begin to do so. As I said, I was lost- in more ways than one.

While our story is long and there is so much I could share- so many ways in which God helped me to grow, so many ways in which He helped me to heal. The one thing that keeps coming to mind tonight- perhaps because tomorrow is Father’s Day- is what an amazing dad Todd has always been from the very beginning. I remember when we first started dating I would sit back and just watch Todd with Travis. I remember thinking there was no way anyone could ever love my son enough- no way anyone could ever love him as much as I did. I remember watching… and waiting… thinking surely I would one day catch a glimpse of him not loving my son like a biological father would… But you know what? That day never came. NEVER. There was never one single time that I ever saw Todd love or treat Travis any less because he was not his biological father. And that, made me fall in love with him even more. Yet even more than that- I knew in my heart I too wanted to love a child one day that did not come from my womb. And from that, God began to grow my passion for adoption.

As I think back now on those thoughts I find them so foreign- so odd. Of course you love your adopted children EXACTLY the same as you love your biological children… Yet back then it was just the beginning of all that the Lord had to teach me. It was just the start of the growing I would do, the changes that would take place inside of me, and the beginning of my walk with the Lord.

As I reflect back over the past 18 years I am in awe of God for every second He has blessed me with by having this man by my side. I did nothing to deserve that- and yet He allowed me this happiness anyway. And I thank you my precious husband for always supporting me, being patient with me, and believing in me. You are my best friend and from your example I have learned what real love is all about.



"I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full. " John 10:10

13 comments:

Sarah said...

Real love, real heart. Your words reminded me of the love God has spilled into my life through my hubby.

May both of you be drenched in His love today,
Sarah Dawn

Unknown said...

Amy - awesome photos! You are both so beautiful inside and out!

I too feel the same way - how amazing that God knew exactly the kind of man I would need to be the woman He is designing me to be!

Love and blessings! Happy Father's Day!
Jill

Chantelle said...

Well you got me teary eyed with that one, Amy!! Thank you for sharing. You and your husband and a beautiful couple. I, too, am blessed beyond my wildest dreams with a husband I adore. I'm so thankful!

Happy Father's Day to you guys.

Bonky's Mom said...

beautiful post!

I love you guys so much!

Andrea Hill said...

Hi Amy,

I love you. Thanks for giving us a glimpse of your live in your younger years on your blog. So many of your feelings you had back than I can so share with you prior to walking with God. I am so thrilled that God has chosen your perfect mate and father for you. You truly are ONE. You are simply beautiful as a couple.

JG said...

What a beautiful story! I hope your family has a very special Father's Day!

Created For His Glory said...

What a beautiful couple you guys are!

"Are These Kids All Yours?" said...

Praise God for HIS perfect timing and gifts to us! He knew what HE was doing!

Unknown said...

God is good to bless us with husbands that love Him and love His children in such a special way. Watching my husband grow in his love for adoption has been an incredible blessing. I'm so glad you also are blessed with such a husband! Thanks for sharing. You two are beautiful!

Brent Riggs said...

He's the man of my dreams too... :)

Hah! Miss you guys... hope to see you soon.

Brent (Abby's Dad)
www.riggsfamilyblog.com

Doreen said...

That was beautiful writing Amy.. you and your husband are truly blessed .. i wish you both nothing but Happiness forever...

Adeye said...

Oh my goodness, what an absolutely beautiful post! I love it. He has done great things.

Oh, and by the way--you guys make a stunning couple :)

Audrey said...

Such a beautiful post. Your story is a lot like LaRue's and mine. He took my child as his own and never looked back. I think that he honestly forgot along the way that she wasn't always his. The one thing in this adoption process that I have never questioned is whether or not we could love enough. I have already witnessed that kind of love in action.

Praising God for bringing you two together and for the many blessings yet to come your way.